Tuesday 27 January 2009

WWE Royal Rumble 2009

I've been a big WWE fan from my childhood and as I've tried to remain as child like as possible, my liking for macho men wearing skimpy womens clothing has stayed with me through the years. On Sunday night we saw my favourite PPV of the year when WWE presented it's annual Royal Rumble. Here are my quick thoughts on the show:

Matt Hardy vs Jack Swagger - ECW Title Match - I thought Hardy was going to win this one by DQ or count out in order for him to get revenge on the champion but it didn't happen. I've never seen Swagger before (ECW is lame) and I was impressed by his in ring performance. I knew that once Hardy had lost he was destined for something major.

Beth Phoenix vs Melina - Womens Title Match - Am I the only one who thinks that melina isn't really that hot? I have nothing but praise for Beth Phoenix because she really does carry the womens division on her own. I was a little underwhelmed by Melina's victory to be honest but I guess Beth needs to lose occasionally.

John Cena vs JBL with HBK in his corner - World Heavyweight Championship Match - Did anyone honestly think the machine that is John Cena would ever lose? I have a lot of respect for the man that is John Cena, he is a true professional, but the way he is booked is way over the top. Cena has all the cards stacked against him but still pulls out the win. Even with HBK in his corner, JBL sucked! Whilst I understand the reluctance to give JBL the title, Cena's cheesy gimmick is getting a little stale. I'd love to see Cena turn heel but that won't happen as long as there is merchandise to sell!

Edge vs Jeff Hardy - WWE Championship Match - We have a new champion and a brother vs brother feud in the making. As soon as Matt came out to the ring it was pretty obvious he was going to take his brother out. But the entire match I was just thinking to myself when will Christian Cage make his return? I was positive that Cage would be the one behind the recent attacks against Jeff, but it looks like it's Matt. Edge is a monster heel and I really hope he doesn't get stuck in another battle against Triple H. Hopefully with Jeff tied up with Matt, Edge can go and battle Christian Cage, if he ever returns that is!

30 Man Over The Top Royal Rumble - Randy Orton, with the help of his two bitches Cody and Ted wins the Rumble. I guess it had to be done, the past 4 or so Rumbles have been won by the good guys, it was about time. I marked out when RVD made a surprise entrance, I love surprises like that, totally out of the blue. I didn't really know who was going to win it, though I would have loved it to have been Chris Jericho but it wasn't to be. I spent the most part of the match thinking Christian was going to make a return, alas he didn't and Randy Orton ended up winning.

All in all, not bad, a decent Rumble match and a surprise ending to the Edge/Jeff Hardy match plus a cameo from RVD. Hopefully Christian makes his return soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment