Monday 20 April 2009

Battle in Seattle

Whilst travelling back from Dubai I was flicking through the list of in flight movies when I came across the name Battle in Seattle. I'd never heard of it but the name had me intruiged and when I saw the cast featured Woody Harrelson, Michelle Rodriguez, Andre Benjamin, Ray Liotta and Charlize Theron I decided to hit the play button.

The film centres on the five days in Novemeber 1999 when the World Trade Organisation held it's meeting in Seattle. Protesters from around the globe descended in to the city and as expected things got violent pretty quickly. The story follows a group of protesters (Benjamin, Jennifer Carpenter, Rodriguez, Martin Henderson) and their bid to make a difference, meanwhile on the other side the mayor of Seattle (Liotta) desperately tries to keep the demonstrations from turn ugly and a police officer (Harrelson) has to deal with the fallout of the riots when his pregnant wife (Theron) has a misccariage during the chaos of the riots.

I was pleasantly surprised with this film, having never heard of it despite it's brilliant cast, this film was very enjoyable. There was plenty of information about the WTO and it's history (although how much of it was true I don't know!) and the story was engaging enough to keep me interested right until the end. A decent fell well worth a watch.

2.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment