Monday 13 April 2009

The Office UK vs The Office US

When I heard there was an American version of the Office being produced, I was pretty underwhelmed. The UK version was legendary, Ricky Gervais's potrayal of David Brent was flawless and to think someone else was about to attempt the same character seemed to be suicidal. I'd never heard of Steve Carell until I watched 40 Year Old Virgin and after seeing that I was intruiged as to how he would do as David's reincarnation as Micheal Scott.

It turned out I had very little to worry about, although the US Office stays true to the UK version in style and content, there are slight changes to the format which makes it different. The US version focuses on a lot more characters where as the UK Office was dominated by David Brent and the romance between Tim and Dawn.

Steve Carell is brilliant although his character is a lot more cartoonish and goofy where as Gervais did play it a lit more realistic. Jim and Pam are a perfect fit and they have great chemistry much like Tim and Dawn their British counterparts. But the best bit of acting has to be that of Rainn Wilson who plays Dwight Schrute the assistant to the regional manager! I never thought anyone could beat Mackenzie Crrok's Gareth Keenan but I honestly think Dwight shades it!

I've just finished watching season 1 and have moved on to season 2, both series have been very strong. The great thing is the fact that I am safe in the knowledge that the US version is still running (5 and counting!) so I won't half to worry about it ending anytime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment